Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Remember K.I.S.S?

I remember that acronym from years back when working with computers. K.I.S.S. stands for 'Keep it simple, Stupid'. I don't particularly like the stupid part but the keep it simple has some merit.



Back in the days when Jesus walked the earth the religious leaders of the day had turned the 10 commandments from Moses day to 613 rules and commands that one must obey to be 'upright' in God's eyes. Basically impossible to all including the Pharisees who came up with the additional commands.



When they tried to corner Jesus by asking Him the most important commandment, His reply was simple... Love the Lord your God with all heart, with all your soul and with all your mind (Matthew 22:38). That to me is 'keeping it simple'.



I find as I strive toward integrity that this simple response is vital to my striving towards integrity. It is a constant battle between my selfish thoughts and desires and those that I would honor God with. If I love God with all my heart, soul and mind, there are things that I just will not entertain in my heart. Selfishness, jealousy, lust, among others.



Jesus' simple commandment is all I need. You see to love God in such a way, I will keep all of the Ten Commandments and my walk will be upright and steadfast. Will I ever achieve this here on earth. No, only one could have done that and His name is Jesus. Is that reason to give up and throw in the towel? By no means!



I want to constantly strive towards that goal... to love God with all my heart, with all my soul, with all my mind. I want to throw off and immediately turn away from any thought or action that may lead me otherwise. It is a constant battle but isn't that why its called spiritual warfare? Life is not easy, its hard and the battlefield is no place for wimps.



God, help me be a spiritual warrior for you today. I put on your armor and I confidently go into battle knowing that you will provide the victory.



Use me today...

No comments: