Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Little to Offer But Enough for God

My bounds are being stretched in many directions. I am a person of routine. My wife and family laugh (and sometimes grumble) about my routines. I wake the same time every morning, I go through basically the same process. I try to go to bed at approximately the same time each night. Even my weekends have a set check-off list of things to get done around the farm.

God is stretching me though. Yesterday, as I was in my office (within my home); contractors were busy looking at our house to bid on an addition to our family room. Although there is only several of us in the house, we view all of our possessions as not ours but Gods. Lately, we have had an urgency in our hearts to open our farm up to small groups and others that need to get away from the commotion of the urban setting. We feel that the extra space will help to accommodate these groups.

Then last night we had two new friends join us for dinner to talk about the small group ministry at church and expanding it in our area. By the end of the night, we felt led to begin next month!

This morning I was reading about how Jesus fed 5000+ people with just five loaves of bread and two fish. His disciples were wary and wanted to send the people away because they wanted the people to provide for themselves. Jesus though used the time for a lesson of dependence on Him. The people were fed (they actually gorged themselves) and yet twelve baskets of scraps were left over.

My routines are being challenged as God instructs me to expand my horizons for His work. I'm hesitant but after reading this story, I will allow God to work through me just like He worked through the bread and the fish. I have little to offer God, but I lay at His feet all that I have. He will provide the rest.

No comments: