Friday, July 4, 2008

The Blessings of Living in the United States

I sat this morning in awe of what is around me. I have a roof over my head. I live in a warm and muggy climate but I am comfortable. My wife was out in the yard with a friend. My daughter and a wonderful young lady were tossing some hoops with a basketball. I sit here knowing in my soul that my other daughter and her husband are safe in Botswana on a trip.

This all is incredible but what additionally is incredible is the peace that I have in my heart knowing that we are all safe, fed and clothed. I didn't have to go and look for a good source of water this morning. I didn't have to think about where my next meal is coming from. I didn't have to worry about others close by that are wanting to kill me.

I am at peace.

I can't help but think of the incredible large list of things that we take for granted living in the United States. Sure, there are some that are dealing with disasters due to the floods in the Midwest or the fires in California, but that is a small part of this nation's population.

Other countries around the world aren't so blessed... hunger, starvation, sickness, strife, nakedness, thirst, war, hate, and just a lack of hope for tomorrow. How can the people of this country just ignore their fellow man. How can we place our own desires, the environment or our own greed ahead of someone in another country that will not live through today without our help?

God placed me here for a purpose and I know for a fact that it is not to satisfy my own selfish desires. All I have is Gods... ALL of it. If He were to take it all today to help others to live or to give them hope, I pray that my attitude of giving will allow me to place it ALL in God's hands.

How can I do any less for my fellow man.

I pray that anyone who reads this will stop and think about how God wants to use YOU today.

Happy Independence Day...

No comments: