Monday, February 16, 2009

Coyotes

Last night on the farm was somewhat busy and restless as we have our closest encounter with coyotes since we have been here. I didn't hear them but Gustav (our nighttime guard dog) and Kay heard what sounded like plenty of them. I'm used to hearing them yelp in the distance but Kay said they were close and were not only yelping but howling.

Kay woke me as I had already gone to bed and I went out into the pasture at midnight to check on the animals (all of which were fine). I listened for about twenty minutes and then fired off a couple of warning shots with my shotgun to scare them away if they were still around. The rest of the night was filled with light sleeping but it was quiet.

It makes me think about the spiritual battlefield that where we are all presently standing. Just like a sheep in our pasture with coyotes stalking around in the dark; we are sheep in a pasture with satan's demonic forces stalking about.

There is one vital difference though. As Christ Followers, we are protected from the stalking forces by the Holy Spirit. We must be on our guard with the armor of God on our bodies and realize that we are indeed on a battlefield but the battle is not ours to fight, it is God's and he will fight for us. We must just be prepared.

I am so thankful that I have a God that cares enough about me to be my Shepherd and my defender.

No comments: