Friday, June 19, 2009

Time - 24 Hours

Time...

We are all given 24 hours of it each day. How we use this time determines what we will look back on as accomplishments after the day ends.

I wrestle with this because I always doubt myself when it comes to time management. I want to be doing the things that God wants me to do, yet so often I look back and wonder if I have wasted yet another day.

Should I outline my day to be efficient? Should I set one or two priorities each day? Should I just "let it flow"?

'There is a time for everything...' (Ecc 3:1) This verse speaks about time and how precious it is to each of us. This chapter though seems to speak of the key pinnacles of time where big decisions are made. OK, but what about today? It is just a normal day... hey wait, doesn't most EVERYDAY start as just a normal day?

Two passages in the Bible are really speaking to me this morning though as they reference this 'normal' day ahead of me.

The first one is Romans 13:11-12 which says "...understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light." I am to be alert to God's guidance and not dragging around half alert. I can plan my day but I need to be aware of the times that God REdirects me during the day. This passage also tells me to pay attention to what is happening in the world today. "Understanding the present time" to me doesn't mean to worry about the politics around the world but I should pay attention as it will help me to prioritize my tasks.

The second passage about time that is Hosea 10:12. "Sow for yourselves righteousness, reap the fruit of unfailing love, and break up your unplowed ground; for it is time to seek the Lord, until he comes and showers righteousness on you." Sow, reap, and break up unplowed ground. In relationships, always be tending the garden as you would your flower garden. Is it full of weeds and pests or beautiful flowers? In my daily walk... my 24 hours, tend my time with care as to make the most of today. I need to take time to aim for the completion of tasks that God has laid on my heart as important to Him. It could be reaching out to another as I am seeking to do in this post. It could be as 'mundane' as mowing the yard or doing the laundry.

How am I doing? How are you doing? Do you have some weeding to do in your plans today? I pray that you do. May we all be alert to the gift of TODAY. God has given us 24 hours. How will you use this precious gift?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very insightful thoughts. Thanks for sharing them.